WRAP is working with the UK event sector to create a sustainable roadmap as part of the European Pathway to Zero Waste (EPOW) programme. EPOW is a LIFE+ funded programme.
Why is this roadmap being created?
Through the EPOW programme WRAP is working with the event sector in the South East of England to develop a roadmap to achieve greater levels of sustainability and reduce supply chain waste across the whole sector. Lessons learnt will be rolled out across the UK. The events sector have already started to address sustainability and with further industry-wide cooperation and agreed commitments this process will develop at a faster rate.
The business case for more sustainable events is clear and includes:
- reduction in material and waste management related costs;
- improvement in sustainability credentials and associated reputational benefits; and
- better positioning in a more resource constrained world.
How will the roadmap be created?
From early 2012 a number of stakeholders involved in event waste management have contributed into discussions around the development of a draft roadmap with further discussions taking place over the next few months.
The process will involve a series of stakeholder workshops to agree the principles and structure of the roadmap and gather information and feedback on its content. It will be made available for public consultation before being published during 2012.
What will be in the roadmap?
The roadmap will include the steps that the sector could take to reach a recognised target for a more sustainable event, for example a ‘zero waste’ event. These steps could include:
- identifying what waste is currently being created;
- reviewing existing good practice to understand how waste is currently being managed;
- creating targets and actions for the event industry and their supply chain to undertake; and
- signposting to existing relevant tools and resources including national and international good practice initiatives and research.
How can I get involved?
During the summer a public consultation period will provide you with an opportunity to review the roadmap and provide feedback to the project team.
The roadmap will be relevant for sport, cultural and commercial events and we encourage anyone with an interest to take part.
How can I find out more information?
If you would like any further information, please contact us using the form below.
Further UK Support
‘With the contribution of the LIFE financial instrument of the European Community’